There are many things that can be done by consumers to resolve a breach of contract. Making a complaint, standing your ground and demanding remedy at the earliest opportunity is the most important first step. After that, courts, tribunals and ombudsmen can help resolve disputes.


Gerard Brody

CEO, Consumer Action Law Centre

Licensing and registration through the Business Licensing Authority

Last updated

1 July 2021

The Business Licensing Authority (BLA) is an independent statutory authority that is responsible for the licensing and registration of a number of occupations.

It determines who can operate in those industries that pose risks for consumers. This includes:

  • estate agents;
  • conveyancers;
  • owners corporation managers;
  • motor car traders;
  • sex work service providers;
  • second-hand dealers;
  • pawnbrokers;
  • travel agents.

The BLA is concerned to ensure that the public interest is served when considering applications.

The BLA has the power to reject applications for licences if it has evidence that an applicant is ineligible, or (in some cases) to take other action such as granting a conditional licence.

The integrity of the licensing process relies on the BLA having the best available information about applicants.

The BLA does not usually resolve individuals’ complaints against particular traders. If anyone has concerns about a licensed trader, they should report these to Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Back to
Consumers, contracts, the internet and copyright