More information about the internet and the law
- Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA): ACMA is the regulator for the telecommunications industry and has an information portal that provides consumer information on internet services.
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC): ACCC provides comprehensive information on where to go to make a complaint or to get help with a problem on its website.
- Australian Council on Children and the Media (ACCM): A not-for-profit organisation that supports families, industry and decision makers to build and maintain a media environment that fosters children’s health, safety and wellbeing.
- Australian eSafety Commissioner: An independent statutory body that administers the Online Content Scheme and can investigate serious cyber-bullying material aimed at a child.
- Australian Government Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications: This site provides information on support and resources for consumers of internet, broadband, telephone and related services, especially home, small business and rural users.
- Australian Privacy Foundation: Australian privacy interest group.
- CHOICE: CHOICE is an independent national consumer organisation; it is the leading consumer advocacy group in Australia.
- Classification website: A government website that provides information on the National Classification Scheme. It includes information about the Classification Board, Classification Review Board and the Attorney-General’s Department.
- Communications Alliance: Responsible for internet industry codes (a role formerly played by the Internet Industry Association).
- Electronic Frontiers Australia: Australian electronic privacy interest group.
- ICRA (Internet Content Rating Association): ICRA is part of the Family Online Safety Institute, an international, not-for-profit organisation of internet leaders working to develop a safer internet.
- MoneySmart: Consumer information service on financial matters, including scams.
- SCAMwatch: a website owned and maintained by the ACCC and a campaign portal for the Australasian Consumer Fraud Taskforce. It has information relating to lottery and competition scams, chain letter and pyramid selling, investment scams, job and employment scams and more.
- Centre for Media and Communications Law
- Community legal centres: See Chapter 2.4: Legal services that can help.
- Consumer Action Law Centre: An independent, not-for-profit Victorian consumer organisation.
- Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV): Advice and assistance for Victorian consumers. Includes information on online auctions.