Guardians and/or administrators make “lifestyle” decisions for people who are unable to make decisions for themselves. They are appointed by VCAT, who acts in the best interests of the person with a disability. The person’s wishes need to be given effect wherever possible.


Philip Grano

Principal Legal Officer, Office of the Public Advocate

Guardianship and medical treatment: Contacts

Office of the Public Advocate (OPA)
Level 1, 204 Lygon Street, Carlton Vic 3053
Tel: 1300 309 337

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)
Guardianship and Administrators List (including powers of attorney):
Tel: 1300 018 228

VCAT hears matters at venues throughout metropolitan and regional Victoria; see VCAT’s website for addresses.

Back to
Disability, mental illness and the law

Buy the chapter ‘Guardianship and medical treatment’