readers should be aware that the Migration Regulations change rapidly. Before using the information listed here, it is a good idea to check that the law has not changed by telephoning one of the free immigration law advice bodies listed in “Contacts“.

One of the best sources of information is the website of the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs (previously called the Department of Immigration and Border Protection) at


Last updated

30 June 2018

Evidence of funds for some visitor and temporary visa classes should be in the form of passbooks, account statements and letters from banks or other financial institutions. Letters should be on letterhead, dated and signed. Adequate funds to cover initial period of stay could vary, depending on:

  • the proposed length of stay and the extent of travel proposed; or
  • the extent to which accommodation and other assistance will be available from relatives and friends in the initial period after arrival.

Approximately AUD$5000 (in addition to funds for a return airline ticket) could be regarded as being sufficient to cover the costs of an initial stay for an applicant who intends to stay in Australia for at least six months (for more information, refer to the ‘temporary residence’ section of the Procedures Advice Manual).

Back to
Government and the individual