readers should be aware that the Migration Regulations change rapidly. Before using the information listed here, it is a good idea to check that the law has not changed by telephoning one of the free immigration law advice bodies listed in “Contacts“.

One of the best sources of information is the website of the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs (previously called the Department of Immigration and Border Protection) at

Immigration and refugees: Contacts

Free information about immigration

The following agencies provide free information about immigration matters. Only registered migration agents can provide immigration advice.

Australian Government Department of Home Affairs
Tel: 13 18 81

Gay and Lesbian Immigration Task Force
Tel: 5294 0293

Law Institute of Victoria (LIV)
Level 13, 140 William Street, Melbourne Vic 3000
Tel: 9607 9311

LIV’s Find a Lawyer Legal Referral Service
Tel: 9607 9550


On 1 July 2015, the Migration Review Tribunal and the Refugee Review Tribunal merged with the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT)
Migration and Refugee Division:
Level 4, 15 William Street, Melbourne Vic 3000
Tel: 1800 228 333

Advice on individual cases

Refugee Legal is a community legal centre specialising in all aspects of refugee and immigration law, policy and practice. Refugee Legal has been assisting asylum seekers and disadvantaged migrants in the community and in detention for more than 15 years and has substantial casework experience.

Telephone advice is available on Wednesdays and Fridays, 10 am to 2 pm. This phone advice service offers confidential advice on refugee and general migration matters. Advice is provided by the duty solicitor.

Refugee Legal
Level 6, 20 Otter Street, Collingwood Vic 3066
Tel (legal advice line): 9413 0100 (Wednesdays and Fridays, 10 am to 2 pm)
Tel (admin): 9413 0101

Translating and interpreting service

The Australian Government, through Home Affairs, pro­vides a Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) for people who do not speak English and for English speakers needing to communicate with them. TIS is a national service, and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to any person or organisation in Australia requiring interpreting assistance. It is accessible from anywhere in Australia for the cost of a local call.

Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS)
Tel: 13 14 50

TIS is available Australia-wide, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Back to
Government and the individual