More information about changing your name
- Most of the law on naming children, registering changes to children’s names and changing birth registration details can be found in the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1996 (Vic).
- The Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria’s website is a useful source of information.
- Most of the law on changing names is common law (for an explanation on the difference between common law and statute law, see ‘Sources of Australian law’ in Chapter 1.1: Where our laws come from).
- For decisions made by the (formerly called) Family Court and Federal Circuit Court, see the Family Law Case Reports.
- For change of name upon adoption orders, see section 56 of the Adoption Act 1984 (Vic).
- For other Acts relevant to name changes, see the schedule to the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1996 (Vic).
- The CCH Australian Family Law and Practice publication is also a useful reference.