Employers and employees have safety obligations and must jointly participate in determining safe working conditions and a stop-work option. It is a criminal offence to victimise employees who are active in asserting these rights. Unions can get an entry permit from the court to inspect and investigate workplaces. Improvement or prohibition notices may be issued, and penalties apply. Other issues include bullying and chemicals at work.


Stella Gold


Occupational health and safety: Contacts

Australian Government Comcare
Tel: 1300 366 979
Email: general.enquiries@comcare.gov.au
Web: www.comcare.gov.au

Comcare is a national system of occupational health and safety and workers compensation.

Fair Work Commission
Victorian office:
Level 4, 11 Exhibition Street, Melbourne Vic 3000
Tel: 1300 799 675
Tel (out of hours emergency): 0419 960 157
Email: melbourne@fwc.gov.au (to lodge a new application); enquiries@fwc.gov.au (for general enquiries)
Web: www.fwc.gov.au

The Fair Work Commission is Australia’s national workplace relations tribunal.

WorkSafe Victoria
Head office:
1 Malop Street, Geelong Vic 3220
Tel: 1800 136 089
Tel (emergencies): 13 23 60
Web: www.worksafe.vic.gov.au

Trade unions

Individual trade unions often have an OHS officer; contact details of these officers can be obtained from the Victorian Trades Hall Council.

Victorian Trades Hall Council
Ground floor, Old Building, Trades Hall, 54 Victoria Street, Carlton South Vic 3053
Tel: 9659 3511
Email: info@vthc.org.au
Web: www.weareunion.org.au

Back to
Rights, activism and fair treatment at work

Buy the chapter ‘Occupational health and safety’