Carvan, J 2015, Understanding the Australian Legal System, 7th edn, Thomson Reuters.
This is a good cook’s tour and is not expensive.
- Cook, C, Creyke, R, Geddes, R, Hamer, D & Taylor, T 2015, Laying down the Law, 9th edn, LexisNexis Butterworths.
This textbook is for first-year law students. It sets out the basic principles of the Australian legal system and introduces legal reasoning, research and writing.
- Davies, M 2017, Asking the Law Question, 4th edn, Thomson Reuters.
This book takes a theoretical approach to the nature of law and its impacts.
- Finkelstein, R & Hamer, D 2014, LexisNexis Concise Australian Legal Dictionary, 5th edn, LexisNexis.
This useful book provides brief explanations of basic legal concepts, words and principles.
- Laster, K 2001, Law as Culture, 2nd edn, Federation Press.
This textbook approaches the topic of law from a broader perspective.
- Lawyers’ Practice Manual (Vic), Springvale Legal Service and Thomson Reuters.
This is a useful procedural guide for legal practitioners; it covers a range of legal topics.
- Meek, M 2016, Australian Legal System – LBC Nutshell, 5th edn, Thomson Reuters.
This concise resource includes references to Acts and cases.
- Nagarajan, V 1989, Australian Law through 200 Years, Kangaroo Press.
This book contains an interesting collection of photos that illustrate the development of Australian law and legal institutions.