Police officers engage in misconduct when they abuse their position of power to act improperly or illegally. People who have experienced police misconduct often feel a sense of injustice and unfairness.
Examples of police misconduct include:
- excessive use of force, assault or manhandling;
- inappropriate use of capsicum spray;
- failing to act or investigate;
- racial discrimination;
- illegal searches;
- unlawful arrest;
- false imprisonment;
- malicious prosecution (i.e. lodging criminal charges for an improper reason);
- unlawful release to the public of confidential information retained by Victoria Police.