Complaints may relate to police misconduct, corruption, discrimination, or to administrative matters such as freedom of information. Complaints can be oral or in writing and must be supported with carefully recorded evidence. Complaints are investigated by the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) or by the police. Whether or not to make a complaint, and when, should be carefully considered. Legal advice should be sought before making a complaint, especially if charges are pending or when pressing charges or suing police for damages.


Jeremy King

Principal Lawyer, Robinson Gill Lawyers

Nick Boag

Solicitor, Robinson Gill Lawyers

Timing your complaint against Victoria Police


There are several things to consider when deciding when to lodge your complaint. Lodging a complaint as soon as possible after an incident improves the chances of your complaint being substantiated as evidence can be collected that may be lost if the complaint is lodged later.

However, if you have been charged, or may be charged, with an offence relating to the incident(s) about which you are complaining, then lodging a complaint can have negative consequences (see ‘Lodging a complaint when charges are laid or anticipated’, below).

Before lodging a complaint, get the advice of a lawyer who is experienced in dealing with police misconduct complaints about the best time to lodge your complaint. A community legal centre can advise you or help you find an appropriate lawyer (see Chapter 2.4: Legal services that can help).

Lodging a complaint when charges are laid or anticipated

When a complaint is made, it is not unknown for the complainant to be charged, or charged with additional offences, by the police officer(s) named in the complaint.

Police officers are also more reluctant to withdraw charges or proceed with lesser charges when the alleged offender has made a complaint of police misconduct.

It is also common for police officer(s) to pursue a prosecution more aggressively when a complaint has been made against the informant, a corroborator, or another police officer involved in the police investigation. 

In addition, while it is a disciplinary offence for Professional Standards Command (PSC) officers to release statements of complaint to other police officers, this has happened. These are all factors to consider when you are waiting for your criminal charge(s) to be finalised and before making a complaint about police misconduct relating to the same incident.

If you have been charged, or are likely to be charged, with an offence that is related to the incident you are complaining about, you should get legal advice before making a complaint (see Chapter 2.4: Legal services that can help).

Note that if police officer(s) charge you with a criminal offence, or add charges, after you lodge a complaint about police misconduct, you may be able to claim malicious prosecution in a future civil case. However, you will only be able to do this if the charges resolve in your favour.

Consequences of delaying lodging a complaint

Your complaint about police misconduct can be negatively affected if you decide to not lodge a complaint until after your court case, and your defence to the charges against you includes allegations of improper behaviour by police officers. The fact that you have not yet lodged a complaint can be used against you in court to suggest that you are making up the allegations just to help your court case.

In addition, some police investigators consider complaints that are not lodged straightaway to be less credible that those lodged quickly after an incident.

Also, the chances of your complaint being substantiated may be reduced because the police officer(s) about whom you are complaining will have had a chance to discuss their version of events with each other.

If you decide to delay lodging your complaint, you should still complete all the steps in ‘Collecting evidence’, above. Doing this will enhance your credibility and increase the chances of your complaint being proved to be true. You should also write down your reasons for delaying lodging your complaint.

Back to
Government and the individual

Buy the chapter ‘Complaints against Victoria Police’