Owners corporations must maintain common areas. The corporation’s powers may be delegated to a manager or chair or secretary. It may lease or licence parts of the common property. Prospective buyers must receive owners corporation certificates. Two-lot subdivisions are exempt from many of the requirements. The subdivision plan decides the boundaries for who pays for repairs. Implied easements restrict what owners may add to the building. Reinstatement and replacement insurance is required for shared services. Annual general meetings must not be more than 15 months apart and matters to cover are set by law. Un-financial lot owners are ineligible to vote. Power of attorney can only be held by a family member of a lot owner. The dispute resolution provisions of the Owners Corporations Act 2006 (Vic) are complex. Complainants may seek conciliation or mediation from Consumer Affairs Victoria. VCAT may determine disputes.


Norman Mermelstein

REIV Accredited Owners Corporation Specialist

Neville Sanders

REIV Accredited Owners Corporation Specialist

Owners corporations: Contacts

Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV)
121 Exhibition Street, Melbourne Vic 3000
Tel: 1300 558 181
Web: www.consumer.vic.gov.au

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)
Tel: 1300 018 228
Email: civil@vcat.vic.gov.au
Web: www.vcat.vic.gov.au

VCAT hears matters at venues in metropolitan and regional Victoria; see VCAT’s website for addresses.

Back to
Houses, communities and the road