The Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (Vic) sets out the rights and duties of landlords and tenants, including the residents of caravan parks and rooming houses. Strict limits are set on bonds. Landlords’ rights of entry are limited by law. Tenants can be evicted only by legal process, but being in arrears on rent can result in a 14-day Notice to Vacate.

When a property is sold, a 60-day notice must be given. Tenants must give 28 days notice to vacate. VCAT can rule on all tenancy disputes, but appeals to VCAT rulings are complex and may be uneconomic.


Ben Cording

Principal Solicitor, Tenants Victoria


Last updated

30 October 2020

A real estate agent is often employed by the landlord to manage the property on their behalf. The agent acts on behalf of the landlord, not the tenant. Tenants should be cautious about acting on the advice of an agent. A real estate agency must comply with the Estate Agents Act 1980 (Vic), the RT Act and the Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Act 2012 (Vic) (‘ACL&FTA’). To complain about a real estate agent, contact the Estate Agents Resolution Service at CAV (see ‘Contacts’ at the end of this chapter).

Back to
Houses, communities and the road

Buy the chapter ‘Tenancy’