Changing your name is a simple process. A new name is to be recognised simply if it is established by usage. However, many government departments require written evidence of a change of name; this can be obtained through Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria.


Talya Faigenbaum

Principal Lawyer, Nest Legal

Changing your name: Contacts

Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria (BDMVic)
Ground floor, 595 Collins Street, Melbourne Vic 3000
Tel: 1300 369 367

County Court of Victoria
250 William Street, Melbourne Vic 3000
Tel (general queries): 8636 6888

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)
Tel: 1300 018 228

VCAT hears matters at venues in metropolitan and regional Victoria; see VCAT’s website for addresses.

Back to
Relationships, families and young people

Buy the chapter ‘Changing your name’


Buy the Chapter