Changing your name is a simple process. A new name is to be recognised simply if it is established by usage. However, many government departments require written evidence of a change of name; this can be obtained through Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria.


Talya Faigenbaum

Principal Lawyer, Nest Legal

Passports and evidence of a name change

The evidence of a name change that is accepted by the Australian Passport Office is listed at

Back to
Relationships, families and young people

Buy the chapter ‘Changing your name’