Victims of family violence can seek protection via an intervention order. Police can also seek intervention orders without a victim’s consent. Orders can prohibit a variety of actions by a perpetrator. Injunctions or restraining orders also have a role to play. Refuges and Centrelink can all help protect victims.

Trigger warning

Please note this chapter (and pages it links to) contains information about family violence that may be triggering to family violence survivors.


Renata Alexander


Support for family violence survivors

Last updated

1 July 2022

If emergency accommodation or support is needed, contact Safe Steps, a 24/7 family violence response centre.

There are refuges and shelters that assist women and children who are escaping violence. They provide free, safe and secure short-term accommodation, advice and counselling, legal assistance, help in applying for Centrelink benefits, and assistance in seeking work and childcare. Women’s refuges are available to all women in need (e.g. regardless of their financial situation, or whether they are married or have children). Refuges and shelters can be contacted through Safe Steps.

Also, women can seek priority housing through the Victorian Government Department of Families, Fairness and Housing or through their local council.

If you have experienced family violence and have no independent income, contact Centrelink and ask what benefits are available. For example, there is a crisis payment that is available for people who are experiencing severe financial hardship or extreme circumstances, such as family violence.

Back to
Relationships, families and young people

Buy the chapter ‘Family violence’