Car accidents may cause personal injuries or damage to property and there is insurance to cover both. If an accident occurs, the damage may be handled through a court claim or paid out by insurers. Decisions need to be made by the parties about how they will manage the process.


Adrian Snodgrass

Principal Lawyer, Fitzroy Legal Service

Motor vehicle accidents and insurance: Contacts

Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA)
Tel: 1800 931 678

Transport Accident Commission (TAC)
60 Brougham Street, Geelong Vic 3220
Tel: 1300 654 329; 1800 332 556

Back to
Accidents, insurance and compensation

Buy the chapter ‘Motor vehicle accidents and insurance’