Who can add information to a credit report?
Only credit providers can add information to credit reports.
‘Credit provider’ is defined in section 6G of the PA 1988. Credit providers include:
- organisations that provide credit, if providing credit is a substantial part of the business;
- retailers that issue credit cards in connection with the sale of goods or services;
- businesses that provide credit in relation to the supply of goods or services where the repayment of the amount of credit is deferred for at least seven days (e.g. utilities companies and telecommunication providers);
- businesses that provide credit that is related to hiring, leasing or renting goods where repayment is deferred for at least seven days;
- assignees of credit providers.