Q+Law Principal Lawyer
Fitzroy Legal Service
- Exciting opportunity legal service delivery to the Victorian LGBTIQA+ community.
- Pursue public interest and strategic litigation to address intersectional disadvantage and champion LBTIQA+ legal rights.
- Based at the Victorian Centre in St-Kilda with flexible and hybrid working options.
Fitzroy Legal Service has been successful in its application to establish Q+Law (working title) – a community-led LGBTIQA+ legal service for Victoria. Q+Law will operate in partnership with Queerspace and will deliver safe and inclusive legal services at the Victoria Pride Centre and outreach to various locations including Queerspace and Your Community Health. The Queerspace Community Governance Committee will provide expert lived experience advice and ensure the intersectional voices of our communities inform the service development of Q+Law.
About the role
The Q+Law Principal Lawyer will lead Q+Law’s provision of legal services to the Victorian LGBTIQA+ community, including advice, casework, and litigation. You will lead a small team of community lawyers and act as a point of legal expertise on legal issues dealt with by Q+Law, including on like discrimination and harassment, LGBTIQA+ family violence, and legal issues relating to gender identity. You will be a qualified legal practitioner, holder of/or eligible to obtain a principal practising certificate, with at least 5+ years’ post admission experience, preferably with experience as a principal, managing or senior lawyer. The role is a contract role until 31 October 2024.
- Legal service delivery and practice management, including ensuring compliance with applicable legal, ethical, insurance and risk management requirements related to the Q+Law legal practice.
- Leadership: Provide leadership, direction, and support to the Q+ Law community lawyers and legal practice. Contribute to the culture of Fitzroy Legal Service and Q+Law that promotes and demonstrates inclusion, accessibility, cultural safety, respect, good practice, innovation, and team approach.
- Stakeholder and community engagement: contribute to the development of relevant partnerships, including with the pro bono legal sector and broader LGBTIQA+ community.
Fitzroy Legal Service is an inclusive employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. This is a special measures role and only members of the LGBTIQA+ community are eligible to apply, in line with the Equal Opportunity Act 2010.
To find out more and to apply for the position please click this link from Ethical Jobs: https://www.ethicaljobs.com.au/members/FitzroyLegal/qlaw-principal-lawyer