Complaints may relate to police misconduct, corruption, discrimination, or to administrative matters such as freedom of information. Complaints can be oral or in writing and must be supported with carefully recorded evidence. Complaints are investigated by the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) or by the police. Whether or not to make a complaint, and when, should be carefully considered. Legal advice should be sought before making a complaint, especially if charges are pending or when pressing charges or suing police for damages.


Jeremy King

Principal Lawyer, Robinson Gill Lawyers

Nick Boag

Solicitor, Robinson Gill Lawyers

Complaints against Victoria Police: Contacts

Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC)
Tel (general enquiries): 1300 369 711
Tel (national information service): 1300  656 419 (Monday to Friday, 10 am to 1.30 pm)

A complaints form can be completed online.

Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC)
Level 1, North Tower, 459 Collins Street, Melbourne Vic 3000
Tel: 1300 735 135

A complaints form can be completed online or downloaded from the website; click on ‘Reporting corruption’ and go to ‘Complaint form’. IBAC prefers complaints to be made in writing. If attending the IBAC office in person, call first to make an appointment.

Victoria Police – Aboriginal Community Liaison Officer Program
Sharon Paten – Aboriginal Portfolio Manager
Tel: 9247 5300

Victoria Police – Freedom of Information Office
Tel: 8335 5800

Victoria Police – Professional Standards Command (PSC)
Tel: 1300 363 101

A complaint form can be submitted online or downloaded.

Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC)
Level 3, 204 Lygon Street, Carlton Vic 3053
Tel: 1300 292 153

Back to
Government and the individual

Buy the chapter ‘Complaints against Victoria Police’