Legislation covers most deaths, illnesses, injuries and diseases caused by work, and these are under the authority of WorkSafe. Some common law negligence claims still go to court. Under workers compensation schemes, employers pay fees and injured employees receive compensation benefits and medical expenses. Commonwealth employees have a similar system.

Unless otherwise indicated, this chapter refers to work injuries sustained on or after 1 July 2014. All legislative references are to the Workplace Injury Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2013 (Vic) ('WIRC Act') unless otherwise indicated.


Brian Wright

Reserve Magistrate

Work injuries: Contacts

Workplace Injury Commission
Level 1, 215 Spring Street, Melbourne Vic 3000
Tel: 1800 635 960
Email: info@wic.vic.gov.au
Web: https://www.wic.vic.gov.au/

The Workplace Injury Commission is a statutory authority that provides a dispute resolution service to resolve workers compensation disputes in Victoria.

WorkSafe Victoria
1 Malop Street, Geelong Vic 3220
Tel: 1800 136 089
Web: www.worksafe.vic.gov.au

Workers Compensation Independent Review Service (WCIRS)
Tel: 4243 7061
Email: wcirs@worksafe.vic.gov.au

Among other responsibilities, WorkSafe enforces Victoria’s occupational health and safety laws and manages the workers’ compensation scheme.

Back to
Accidents, insurance and compensation