Significant differences exist between different titles (e.g. strata titles and off-the-plan titles). DIY conveyancing is risky. Mortgages are offered in many forms. The First Home Owners Grant has strict eligibility terms. Compare real estate agents’ costs when selling. Buyers should be prepared for auction tactics and signing the sale contract. Cooling-off applies but deposits can be forfeited if the contract is broken. Buyers must pay stamp duty and pay for caveats and Land Registry searches.


Laura Vickers

Principal Solicitor, Nest Legal

Marta McCormack

Solicitor, Nest Legal

Goods and Services Tax

Last updated

1 July 2021

Overview of the GST

The Goods and Services Tax (GST), effective from 1 July 2000, applies to certain types of property transactions. However, generally, GST does not apply to existing residential land sales and purchases.

The residential properties that can attract GST are those properties that:

  • have not previously been sold as residential premises;
  • have been created by a substantial renovation of a building; or
  • have been built to replace demolished premises on the same site.

If you have an issue with the GST (and this area can be very complex where property is concerned) it is strongly recommended that you obtain professional advice from your accountant.

GST withholding regime

Since 1 July 2018, if GST applies to the sale of a residential property (usually because it is new or vacant land), the buyer may be required to withhold the GST and pay it to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) at settlement. A vendor’s solicitor or conveyancer must advise a buyer if they are required to withhold GST (and the vendor’s conveyancer will usually ask the vendor’s accountant to confirm this advice if the property is not an existing residential property). 

A buyer can be penalised for not withholding GST. As it is the buyer’s obligation to remit GST directly to the ATO, if there is any doubt in the buyer’s conveyancer’s mind about whether GST should be withheld at settlement, the conveyancer should apply to the Commissioner for a private ruling. 

Back to
Houses, communities and the road

Buy the chapter ‘Buying or selling a house’