The legislation and rules relating to owners corporations include:
- the Owners Corporations Act 2006 (Vic) (‘OC Act’);
- the Owners Corporations Regulations 2018 (Vic) (‘OC Regulations’);
- the Subdivision Act 1988 (Vic) (‘Subdivision Act’);
- the Subdivision (Registrars Requirements) Regulations 2011 (Vic) (‘SRR Regulations’);
- the Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Act 2012 (Vic) (‘ACL&FTA‘);
- the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 1998 (Vic) (‘VCAT Act’); and
- the registered rules of the owners corporation.
Note that the day-to-day running of an owners corporation is declared by the Subdivision Act (s 29) to be excluded from the operation of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).
Consumer Affairs Victoria administers the OC Act, the OC Regulations, and the registration of owners corporation managers.
All section references in this chapter are references to the OC Act, unless otherwise stated.